SORA For The Armed Officer Renewal The Gunny 2017-05-19T12:14:57+00:00
1- Come to Gun For Hire and retake the 2 day SORA First Time course for $99.99.
1- While in class, you will have your photo taken (included with 2 day course).
2- We will help you register again on the NJ State Police Website, while you are here (they charge $75).
3- You will need to be fingerprinted again for $66.25.
1. If I am already a licensed security officer/owner/bounty hunter or private detective do I need to get re-fingerprinted?
Yes, Once you complete the initial armed security officer application you will need to be fingerprinted again.
2. Do I need to keep both security officer and armed officer SORA certifications current?
No, the armed security officer certification will supersede the regular security officer certification.
3. If I have a Retired Police Officer (RPO) permit to carry a firearm and work as an armed security guard do I need to be licensed under SORA?
Yes, unless you work for a State, County, Local Government, Commission, School Board, etc. All exemptions in SORA still apply. See SORA Act 45:19A-2b(3).
4. Do I need to renew each year with the armed security officer certification?
Yes, the armed security officer certification is an annual renewal and you must attend an 8 hour block of instruction by a licensed SORA instructor each year.
5. Is there any increase in the fees for armed security officer?
No, the fees have not changed.
6. What if I am an armed security officer and work in plain clothes?
You must have with you a badge indicating SORA Level 2 Armed Security Officer, armed security officer certification, and a valid firearms carry permit (or RPO).
7. What type of holster must I wear while working as an armed security officer?
You must secure your weapon in a Level 3 or higher holster.
8. Do I need to wear a specific uniform?
Yes, if you wear a company uniform you need to wear a badge indicating a SORA Level 2 armed security officer and the words “SECURITY” printed on the reverse side of the shirt.
9. Do off duty, retired or active law enforcement working as an armed security guard need to obtain the Armed SORA certification?
10. Is there a separate SORA class for the armed security officer certification?
No, the SORA curriculum remains the same.