NRA First Steps Shotgun
Length of Course: 4 hours
Taught at this location: Woodland Park, Mobile training for this class is also available.
Course Level: Starter (what's this?)
Who teaches this course? This course is taught by an NRA-certified firearms instructor, who was also trained and additionally certified with the trademark GFH immersion training system.
Course Description: A shotgun is a long gun designed to be fired with two hands. It has a smooth bore (the inside of the barrel) and is designed to shoot a variety of ammunition, ranging from a solid bullet, called a slug, to multiple projectiles, called shot. Shotguns are often used in bird hunting and in the sports of trap or skeet. The shotgun course can be as short as 4 hours. During this class, students will get the NRA's The Basics of Shotgun Shooting Handbook and intensive lessons in safety, gun handling, fundamentals of shotgun shooting, several practical exercises on the firing range, cleaning, storage, and a summary of shotgun sports and activities.
Need a Private or Semi-Private lesson to fit your schedule? If you do not see a training date that suits your schedule, please contact us to make personal arrangements. Instruction scheduled at your convenience with no waiting list. No prior experience or handgun ownership necessary. If you do not have a firearm yet let us know and arrangements can be made. Please contact Jimmy at 888-486-3674 x6 or Jimmy@gunforhire.com
Once you have read the additional information below, if you still have a question, please check out our FAQ Page. If you do not see the answers you are seeking, be sure to go to the Gun For Hire forum where several of our instructors are available to answer any questions. Our Gun Forum has an optional login with facebook for your convenience.
Topics covered to include:
- Prerequisites: None. The material is suitable for all, including appropriately supervised, mature children. Minimum age, 8 years old.
- To teach the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for owning and using a shotgun safely
- Safe gun handling, ammunition knowledge, fundamentals of shotgun shooting, two-handed shooting position, firing the first shots, cleaning, storage, shotgun sports and activities.
- Students will receive feedback on all live-fire exercises.
- If you do not have a firearm, no problem, a selection will be supplied during the class at NO additional charge.
- Have your own firearm? Great. Please bring it along.
- Ammo is supplied.
- This course is all inclusive - class - certificate - materials - range time - targets - eye and ear protection.
- Please wear comfortable clothing. No open-toed shoes.
Wanted to thank you again and reiterate what I great experience I had with First Steps Shotgun. Rob was a fantastic instructor; he was adorable (in a totally platonic, big-brother kind of way) and respectful. The class was informative and the range time was awesome. My prior shooting experience consisted of several pick-up trucks, several more shotguns, and a large group of frat boys. While they taught me the fundamentals, no one discovered my cross eye dominance problem. Thanks to you and Rob, I'm now a fairly accurate shot and much more comfortable handling a shotgun. Also, the driving directions were flawless. The gentleman wearing a bandanna (whose name I don't know) not only walked me to my car, but also led me to the parkway. Please keep me posted on any upcoming events that you're hosting, as I'd love to get some more practice time in! And, when I'm ready to purchase a firearm, I plan on consulting with you guys first. Thanks again. And I'm sorry I insulted your phone system. - Rebecca