Tom served with the Rutgers University Police Department in New Brunswick, NJ for 25 years, retiring in 2003. During his police career Tom served as a patrol officer, squad supervisor, firearms instructor, training officer, police academy instructor, division commander, and deputy chief of police. His police service also included 18 years as a member of the Middlesex County Special Operations and Response Team as a police marksman, firearms instructor, squad leader (snipers), and deputy team commander. Since retiring from law enforcement Tom has served as an emergency management official for the NJ Office of Emergency Management (2004-2008) and Seton Hall University (2008-2016).
Tom received a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science from Rutgers University (1976) and is a graduate of the FBI National Academy (1994).
Tom has been a firearms instructor since 1983, providing firearms training to police, Boy Scouts, and private persons.
Firearms related training courses he has attended include:
• Firearms Instructor Course, Federal Bureau of Investigation 1983
• Methods of Instruction Course, Middlesex County Police Academy 1983
• Pistol Armorer School, Smith & Wesson Academy 1988
• Tactical Handgun Course, Smith & Wesson Academy 1988
• Advanced Rifle Marksmanship Course, New Jersey National Guard 1989
• Scope-Sighted Rifle Course, Smith & Wesson Academy 1990
• Police Service Rifle Instructor Course, NJ Division of Criminal Justice 1991
• Shotgun Instructor Course, Smith &Wesson Academy 1991
• Police Long Rifle Certification Course, International Association of Chiefs of Police 1991
• Reduced Light Level Firearms Training Course, Smith &Wesson Academy 1993
• Law Enforcement Rifle Instructor Development School, National Rifle Association 1993
• Firearms Course, FBI National Academy 1994
• Sniper Basic Course, Federal Bureau of Investigation 1995
• Firearms Instructor Recertification, Federal Bureau of Investigation 1996
• Sniper Intermediate Course, Federal Bureau of Investigation 1997