The Armed Security Officer Certification Class is Step 1 in obtaining your New Jersey Carry permit! Register Today!
SORA For The Armed Security Officer: First Time
We can do the registration and the fingerprint application for you, provided you take our class at Gun for Hire. You will need to provide 2 forms of ID, including one photo ID. Gun For Hire is the best in NJ with the best prices. NO hidden fees or charges.
Length of Course:
• State Police registration: $75 (if you do not have a credit card we can help you register) Once you register your certificate is valid for 30 days. You must take our course and have your fingerprints done within the 30 days.
• State electronic fingerprinting is $63.91 (we can help you get the fingerprints if you take our course)
• 2-day course $100 (For all except Active LEO)
• LEO Administrative fee $40 (Active LEO Only)
Once you complete all 3 steps within the 30 days, you receive your SORA card in the mail directly from the State Police within 5 to 10 business days.
What to Bring:
• Photo ID
• Note pad and pen
• Cash or credit card (no Checks)
• Register at NJ State Police
What We Will Cover
• NJ Attorney General’s Use of Force Policy
• Terrorism Awareness
• Cargo Theft
• Security Measures: Prevention and Deterrence
• Suspicious Letters and Packages
• Suicide Bombers and Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Devices (VBIED’s)
• First Aid Awareness
• Incident Command System
• Report Writing
• Street Gangs
SORA For The Armed Officer FAQ’s
Here are the steps you need to take below in order to carry.
1. Take the Armed Security Officer Security Class with us.
2. Obtain a letter of need from your employer.
3. Obtain approval from the State of New Jersey to carry a handgun.
1. If I am already a licensed security officer/owner/bounty hunter or private detective do I need to get re-fingerprinted?
Yes, Once you complete the initial armed security officer application you will need to be fingerprinted again.
2. Do I need to keep both security officer and armed officer SORA certifications current?
No, the armed security officer certification will supersede the regular security officer certification.
3. If I have a Retired Police Officer (RPO) permit to carry a firearm and work as an armed security guard do I need to be licensed under SORA?
Yes, unless you work for a State, County, Local Government, Commission, School Board, etc. All exemptions in SORA still apply. See SORA Act 45:19A-2b(3).
4. Do I need to renew each year with the armed security officer certification?
Yes, the armed security officer certification is an annual renewal and you must attend an 8 hour block of instruction by a licensed SORA instructor each year.
5. Is there any increase in the fees for armed security officer?
No, the fees have not changed.
6. What if I am an armed security officer and work in plain clothes?
You must have with you a badge indicating SORA Level 2 Armed Security Officer, armed security officer certification, and a valid firearms carry permit (or RPO).
7. What type of holster must I wear while working as an armed security officer?
You must secure your weapon in a Level 3 or higher holster.
8. Do I need to wear a specific uniform?
Yes, if you wear a company uniform you need to wear a badge indicating a SORA Level 2 armed security officer and the words “SECURITY” printed on the reverse side of the shirt.
9. Do off duty, retired or active law enforcement working as an armed security guard need to obtain the Armed SORA certification?
10. Is there a separate SORA class for the armed security officer certification?
No, the SORA curriculum remains the same.
All of our high-level courses are taught by experienced professionals with the credentials to prove it. They are all trained and certified by the N.J. Police Training Commission, N.J. Department of Criminal Justice, and possess Federal Law Enforcement Instructor Certifications. They are experts in N.J. Use of Force Policies, and are always updating the course material with the latest use of force guidelines and case law. At Gun For Hire, this is not a “hobby”, but a full-time, legitimate vocation. Any “instructor” can teach you something, but only a select few can teach you the “why” or the “root of law” to justify your actions. If you were to use your newly acquired skills and were required to justify your actions, Gun For Hire instructors are ready, willing, and able to testify in your defense, as long as you had followed the training and procedures we provided. It does you, and your loved ones, no good if you survive the fight but have spend the next thirty years in prison because of the wrong advice you were given by a part-time amateur “instructor”.
All of our SORA courses at our NEW state-of-the-art facility at Gun For Hire in Woodland Park, NJ. Same great pricing and instruction now held at the largest range in America. The calendar below shows courses at our new facility.
mon12aug(aug 12)8:00 amtue13(aug 13)8:00 pmSORA First Time August 12th / 13th8:00 am (12) - 8:00 pm (13) Woodland Park Range, 1267 McBride Ave Woodland Park, NJ 07424 Event Organized By: Charlie Padula
mon16sep(sep 16)8:00 amtue17(sep 17)8:00 pmSORA First Time September 16th/17th8:00 am (16) - 8:00 pm (17) Woodland Park Range, 1267 McBride Ave Woodland Park, NJ 07424 Event Organized By: Charlie Padula