Mag 20 shooting only Massad Ayoob
(Prerequisite: basic understanding of firearms safety.)
Length of Mag 20 Live Fire Massad Ayoob: 20 hours
Location and Schedule:
Easton Fish and Game: 2595 Redington Rd. Hellertown, PA 18055 (Day 1,2)
May 30th 8:00am – 7:00pm meet, greet and sign in at Easton Fish and Game club house
May 31st 9:00am – 7:00pm meet, greet and sign in at Easton Fish and Game club house
Course Level: Novice (What’s this?)
Who teaches this course? This course is taught by Massad Ayoob.
Course Description: Range work will include instruction in the use of the defensive handgun under extreme stress. Drawing from concealment, two-handed stances, shooting from cover, one-handed stances with either hand, speed reloading, and more are taught with an overall emphasis on fast, accurate shot placement. The course will culminate with a written examination covering the classroom topics and a police-style handgun qualification course.
Massad Ayoob has been handgun editor of GUNS magazine and law enforcement editor of AMERICAN HANDGUNNER since the 1970s, and has published thousands of articles in gun magazines, martial arts publications, and law enforcement journals. He is the author of more than a dozen books on firearms, self-defense, and related topics, including “In the Gravest Extreme,” widely considered to be the authoritative text on the topic of the use of lethal force. The winner of the Outstanding American Handgunner of the Year Award in 1998, Mas has won several state and regional handgun shooting championships. Ayoob is one of approximately ten Five Gun Masters among the 10,000-member International Defensive Pistol Association, and was the first to earn that title. He served 19 years as chair of the Firearms Committee of the American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers, and several years as a member of the Advisory Board of the International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association. In addition to teaching for those groups, he has also taught for the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors and the International Homicide Investigators seminars. Mas has received judicial recognition as an expert witness for the courts in weapons and shooting cases since 1979, and has been a fully sworn and empowered, part time police officer for over three decades. Ayoob founded the Lethal Force Institute in 1981 and served as its director until 2009, and now trains through Massad Ayoob Group. He has appeared on CLE-TV delivering continuing legal education for attorneys, through the American Law Institute and American Bar Association, and has been retained to train attorneys to handle deadly force cases through the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. Ayoob served for two years as co-vice chair of the Forensic Evidence Committee of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He also appears in each episode of Personal Defense TV (Sportsman’s Channel).
*This course is being taught by a Guest Instructor there will be no refunds allotted only Range Credit*
- Prerequisites: Prior completion of Mag 20.
- We will supply water and coffee. Please bring breakfast and lunch to eat
- Note taking materials. Laptops recommended.
- Absolutely NO recording or video taking during the course.
- A good quality handgun, suitable for self-protection and/or concealed carry. Remember that you will be firing approximately 500 rounds during this class, so ultra-lightweight firearms, though suitable for concealed carry, are not a good choice for class use. If you have any questions about the suitability of your gun, please contact us. It is a good idea to bring a spare gun, if you have one, just in case your primary gun breaks. ( it happens more than you think)
- A good quality holster. You need a safe, quality holster and belt. Again, if you have any questions, please contact us.
- A minimum of 3 magazines or speed loaders for your handgun.
- A magazine pouch/holder for at least 2 of your spare magazines or speed loaders.
- A sturdy belt, to support the above.
- Hearing protection.
- Eye protection.
- Billed cap or other brimmed headwear.
- At least 500 rounds of decent quality, reliable ammunition. Range ammunition (FMJ, etc.) is fine. You do not need to use premium self defense ammo for this course.
- Clothing suitable for the weather and the range. If necessary, we will finish our range work in whatever conditions exist at class time, live-fire classes run rain or shine, mud may be involved.
- Rain-gear plus a light jacket and sweater or sweatshirt (mornings and evenings can be cold, even in Florida).
- Firearm cleaning supplies plus any tools / lubricants that you might need.
- A flashlight. Although we will not be doing any night shooting, it can get getting dark fairly early and some of our facilities have no lighting at the range. A flashlight might be handy for packing up your gear and getting to your car. Please note that the above list is just the essentials. You may bring additional items (such as a range bag, extra magazines, folding chairs and tables, tarps etc.), if you choose.
- Urban Pistol
- Urban Rifle
- Urban Shotgun
Dear Anthony, I found the First Steps course to be a very lively and spirited one.It is refreshing to be among a group of people who cherish the right to own firearms. Our instructor, Robert Howe, knows guns like the back of his hand and was quite helpful. It was a pleasure meeting you, Anthony, and I’m glad you made that cameo appearance in the classroom. Hopefully, one day the State of New Jersey will come to its senses and adopt rational firearms legislation. And when it does, we can all thank the outspoken proponents of Second Amendment rights like yourself. My Florida CCW application went out in the mail yesterday. I look forward to my next course at Guns For Hire.
Anthony, Thanks for a great experience for my son and I. We attended you “First steps pistol” course with Sandy yesterday and it was great! My son has had an interest in competitive shooting for several years and finally got the opportunity to learn from the pros at your facility. Everyone we came in contact with was very supportive and my son and I learned alot. We are looking forward to visiting often. Thanks again to everyone there for a GREAT experience!!!
Hi Anthony, Thanks for your email. Yes – I enjoyed the class yesterday; it was very informative and a good introduction to shooting safely. I now feel confident enough to go to the range and practice independently. However, I know that this is only an introduction and want to come back for further classes. I just wish you were closer than the 2 hour drive! But it was well worth it and will be seeing you again in 4-6 weeks hopefully. Many thanks.
Anthony and staff, I truly enjoyed and was extremely impressed with the extensive wealth of knowledge and your dead on approach to teaching firearms, First Steps to me. You covered an enormous amount of information in a short period of time and your teaching techniques and interaction with the students was remarkable, honest, and sincere. Absolutely can not say enough about the no B.S. way you people do your instruction and run the whole Gun For Hire Teaching / Training facility . Totally professional, yet very friendly, and by far the best firearms instruction I have ever seen. I am looking forward to continuing my training in other classes you offer in the near future. Thanks again!