First time applicants to obtaining Firearm’s (IE: Handgun’s, Rifle’s, Shotgun’s) in NJ.
NJ has switched over to the more convent online application form calls “FARS” (Firearms Application & Registration System),
this is the new digital way to complete an application for a Firearms Purchaser Application. This is the first step to obtaining any type of
firearm (IE: Handgun’s, Rifle’s, Shotgun’s) in NJ.
The Link below for the FARS will walk you through the online application, before you start it is Required for you to call your local Police Department (IE: The Police station or Police barracks you reside in) to obtain the Police station / barracks ORI#. The ORI # (Originating Agency Identifier) is important to have as the ORI # is linked to your local police department and they will get notified that the applicant (You) is requesting a Firearms.
1) If this is your first time applying online the cost is $5 for Firearm ID card (This card does not expire and will allow you to purchase ammunition and long guns. (Shotguns and Rifles) Each Handgun permit is $2 (This is required for each handgun that you purchase) The Background check fee $20.
2) We suggest every time you are applying to always obtain 3 handgun permits , the fee is only $6 ($2 per handgun permit). But the bigger picture is NJ has a law that you can only purchase 1 handgun a month (30days). This process might take you few months and if you want to get a second handgun at least you have another permit available with out applying for more permits. If you don’t use them they expire after 90 days , if you also time it correctly you can use all 3 permits.
3) Be patient, at the moment applications are in higher demand. This process may take a few months!
4) Choosing the perfect firearm for your needs is a very important decision. At Gun For Hire we have over 250 different guns to choose from. This amazing selection will help you choose the perfect firearm, grip and caliber. We created a special package for anyone purchasing a firearm. Come in and select 3 of your favorite choices and we will wave the $25 rental fee for all 3! You save $75 bucks. This is our way of making sure you choose the right firearm for you. Just bring in your pistol purchase permit.
5) While you are getting your permit the next best thing is to take a beginner course for your specific firearm. It is better to understand gun safety before your new firearm arrives. Check out our exclusive courses below taught by the industries best instructors. Any questions please shot us over an email!
6) In these times it is easy to see how important it is to be able to protect yourself and your family. Please be sure to visit our 2A page and stay up to date with Anthony’s continued fight for our rights. gunforhire.com/2a
Stay healthy and Stand Strong.
NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting
NRA First Steps Rifle
NRA First Steps Shotgun
Reserve a seat today. If the class is moved due to the virus, your reservation will be saved and you will have the choice of any other course date.
NY Gun Permit
If you reside in the state of New York, Please click the link below!